Apple Orchard Cranberry Beans
- 2 cups freshly shelled cranberry beans
- 1 large red or white onion, chopped
- 3 (or more) cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon roughly ground dried Turkish chili (optional)
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt (American, Turkish, or Greek)
To prepare: Put everything but the parsley and yogurt in a saucepan, along with 1/4 to 1/2 cup water. Set over medium-high heat, and bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cook at least an hour, stirring if you remember to, until beans are soft. Then stir in the chopped parsley.
To serve: Divide the beans evenly among four bowls, along with all of the cooking liquid. Garnish each with a big dollop of yogurt, and serve with fresh, crusty bread to sop up the juices.